Reaction time

Go down

Reaction time

Post  wuxia_warrior on Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:27 pm

Okay, my main problem in sparring seems to be I suck at reacting. When someone attacks with one technique, I'm pretty good at countering, but when it's someone throwing a sequence of punches or strikes my brain just stalls and I end up flailing like a little girl. Even when I'm messing around with my wife she ends up slapping me on the back of the head (which really irritates me ((at myself for letting it happen))). My brain just doesn't process that much happening and direct my arms accordingly. Is there anything I can do to fix that or am I just screwed?

It's enough to make me want to just pay for my concealed carry license and give up on the idea of self-defense.

wuxia_warrior

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Reaction time

Post  Whiteape on Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:27 pm

Structure, position, and footwork, use these to seize the initiative. Reacting to multiple strikes is inefficient. Move your structure to where multiple strikes cannot be effectively delivered, then seize initiative. You can additionally train your reflexes to be better as well. One way to combine both, is something we've done, where you just guard while the other person attacks. Don't try to block each attack or react with the hands. React with the lower body (really whole body) and use structure.

Reaction drill:

Stand face to face with partner (might be fun with your wife) with normal shoulder width upright stance and your hands at your sides. From this neutral position, one person attempts to slap the other's face and the other tries to block by just raising the hand straight up by their own head. When you successfully block, then you get to slap. It's good to do with several different people.

Whiteape
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  wuxia_warrior on Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:05 pm

My problem might be one of localization. When Chris comes with a flurry of punches all aimed at the same place, I don't have the problem. It's when someone comes from all over the place that I fall to pieces. For instance, Darrell coming at me with hooks, jabs, uppercuts, and all aimed at different targets I just walk backwards and flounder. I know I need to move off the line and stuff, but I just don't. I was just down in the basement playing with a tennis ball, throwing it at where the wall and floor come together (so it either bounces back at the same angle or hits the wall then the floor and comes at me fast and low or hits the floor then the wall and comes high) and catch it and throw it again. Then I moved closer and even tried kicking it back at the wall. While I'm no prodigy, I don't have trouble with it.

I remember playing MOHAA (Medal of Honor Allied Assault, a first person WWII shooter) with a friend in college. I sucked. I would always react too slowly and get killed. One day we were out playing laser tag which got me all adrenalined up or something, and we played the same game on networked computers in the arcade area and I made mince-meat out of him, shooting him before he ever saw me. I need to figure out how to turn that on whenever I want to.

When I'm touching the person, it goes a LOT better for me. I'm much better at sensing through touch and reacting appropriately than seeing it. Unfortunately, most real fights don't start with the person crossing hands with you.

wuxia_warrior

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down